First Church Berkeley (United Church of Christ) is seeking an Acting Associate Minister. Join a dynamic, thriving, progressive Christian church focused on social justice and living out the gospel of Jesus.
We are an Open & Affirming, WISE (Welcoming, Inclusive, Supportive & Engaged in mental health ministry), and Sanctuary church.
The Acting Associate Pastor will serve as an energetic generalist on our innovative, collaborative ministry team, playing an active role in the worship and program life of the church, and covering a wide variety of functions during the program year from August 2020-September 2021. This unique year-long opportunity will allow for sustained relationships and empowered leadership within a vibrant congregation and dedicated staff. The position will provide a consistent pastoral presence to bridge a period that includes two planned pastoral leaves of the Senior Minister and the Associate Minister.
The ideal candidate would be highly competent, collaborative, mature, flexible, creative, and self-starting, with a deep faith and an open spirit. Come help us grow and live more fully into our congregational vision during a moment in time ripe for social change and spiritual deepening. What a year it’s been already: a pandemic, an upcoming national election, a major church rebuilding project, and who knows what else the Spirit may bring us!
- Preaching up to twice a month
- Worship support: Sunday mornings and alternative worship services (Open Chapel, Taize, emerging worship)
- Pastoral Care, shared with both the Senior and Associate Minister
- Young Adult Ministry support
- Small Groups
- Provide staff support to the Ministries of Adult Education and Worship & Spiritual Life (fall), Justice & Service and Stewardship, Finance & Administration (summer), or as assigned.
- Community engagement
- Digital spiritual formation
- Staff supervision
- Communications and social media
- Other duties as assigned
- Div, Ordained (or approved for ordination pending call)
- Work experience: 5+ years experience leading worship and providing pastoral care highly preferred.
- Strong digital ministry experience and online worship expertise preferred.
This position reports to the
Senior Minister. The position will work collaboratively with the Associate Minister, Congregational Care Program Manager, and Business Manager,
and will directly manage the following positions:
- August – December: Communications Specialist, Open Chapel Coordinator
- May – August: Music Director, Director of Family Ministry
Term: August 2020-September 2021 | 32 hours/week, with benefits, salary commensurate with experience
Send UCC profile or resume & cover letter to: email@example.com.
People of color and LGBTQ+ folks strongly encouraged to apply.
First Church Berkeley is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to inclusion and diversity.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
First Congregational Church of Berkeley, United Church of Christ
2345 Channing Way | Berkeley, CA 94704 | (510) 848-3696 |
Vision Statement: https://www.firstchurchberkeley.org/vision/