Summer Session 2010 on Holy Hill
Beginning July 6 and ending August 13, Summer Session 2010 at Pacific School of Religion will offer two dozen courses and the opportunity to study in a relaxed environment in community with PSR faculty and other leading voices in progressive Christianity.
The courses last either one, two, or three weeks and are open to people from all walks of life: clergy, lay leaders, teachers, artists, writers, community leaders, spiritual seekers, seminary students, and retirees. New this year is the opportunity to share reflection, meals, special events (including a poetry workshop and an art exhibit) and ecumenical worship at the PSR Chapel.
Some of the nationally and internationally-recognized instructors at Summer Session include:
- Rev. Dr. James Forbes, senior minister emeritus of Riverside Church and founder and president of the Healing of the Nations Foundation, teaching Preaching the Gospel of Holistic Health.
- Rev. John Shelby Spong, retired bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Newark, author of more than 20 books, and a leading voice of progressive Christianity, will teach a course called Eternal Life: A New Vision—Beyond Religion, Beyond Theism, Beyond Heaven and Hell.
- Daniel A. Helminiak, Catholic theologian, leading researcher on psychology and pastoral care, and author of the groundbreaking book, What the Bible Really Says about Homosexuality, will be teaching Sex and the Sacred: Theo-Psychological Issues.
- Ellen Bass, Lambda Literary Award-winning poet and nonfiction writer on issues of sexuality and recovery from sexual abuse, will teach Poetry as Spiritual Practice.
- Rev. Donna Schaper, senior minister of Judson Memorial Church in Greenwich Village, Huffington Post blogger, and author of 31 books, will teach The Dash Between the Nitty and the Gritty: Practical Parish Ministry.
Courses may be audited or taken for academic credit or continuing education units (CEUs). Special rates are available for groups of five or more from congregations, denominations, and non-profits. A five percent early registration discount is available before May 1.
For more information on Summer Session 2010, including a complete listing of courses, fees, dates and times, and to register online, visit psr.edu/summer. You may also contact Summer Session at 510/849-8268 (toll-free: 800/999-0528, ext. 8268) or summer[at]psr[dot]edu.