Youth, and Young Adult Leader, United Japanese Christian Church
United Japanese Christian Church is a historically (and predominately) Japanese and Japanese-American federated congregation of the United Church of Christ and the United Methodist Church. Increasingly, we welcome persons from other cultures and ethnicities into our community.
We are seeking an individual, who will be a strong role model, with vocational aptitude and interpersonal skills to be the central coordinating and organizing spirit for our youth and young adult ministries.
- Build relationships with children, youth, and parents, and greater congregation.
- Plan, coordinate, execute, and participate in youth programming in the four areas of spiritual, missions, social, and fundraising.
- Be a resource and support for coordinators of (5/6 grades) and (7/8 grades) Fellowships.
- Cultivate and coordinate the High School and the College-age youth groups to discern priorities and direction.
- Teach High School Sunday School.
- Available for spiritual counseling for youth and young adults.
- Be a liaison in directing youth volunteers at different events (e.g. fundraisers, church events, and community service projects) and provide support as needed.
- Be actively involved in coordinating the participation in youth summer camps and mission trips.
- Complete assigned additional tasks as directed by the senior minister.
Characteristics and Specific Skills Sought:
- Compassionate Christian who seeks to serve God with their talents
- Possesses an ability to relate with people of all ages
- Team player with strong ability to work well with others
- Dependable person with proven commitment to keeping deadlines and engaging in timely communications with other team members
- Self-directed person who manages own work schedule well
- Comfortable with ethnic, class and regional diversity, especially Japanese American cultures
- Has a knowledge of age-appropriate developmental stages and interpersonal ethics
- Shows vocational aptitude (discerning ministry, has seminary education, or has education in children’s development, etc.) College degree preferred.
- Possesses current CPR certification and safe sanctuary clearance, and willingness to be trained or screened as needed.
- Must be 25 years or older, with a valid CA driver license.
Theological Expectations: UJCC is a mainline Protestant Christian congregation. Our members hold a wide range of theological perspectives – across the liberal/conservative spectrum. Because of this diversity, our youth and young adult ministries as well as other activities include a range of Christian thought and values. We seek an individual who is able to guide the youth and young adults to explore their faith in a variety of ways.
Shared ethnic ties and filial bonds have held the congregation together, though we are currently exploring a more specifically articulated Christian faith during this intentional interim period while we prepare for a new senior minister. Persons able to respect such diversity amid a community in transition are most welcome to apply.
Pay Scale: $20,000-$30,000, based upon experience.
Hours Per Week: approx. 20--30