VITAS Innovative Hospice Care (Walnut Creek)
Position Available: Bereavement Services Intern
Date Available: Currently open -- can be filled upon completion of training.
- Excellent communication skills, including active listening skills and empathy.
- Reliable transportation.
- Completion of VITAS Volunteer Training.
- Meeting all VITAS standards of health, immunization, background check, dress code and hygiene. (We adhere to a fragrance-free environment for our patients and families.)
- Currently in or seeking post-graduate education (or equivalency) in Psych-social, spiritual, or counseling program.
- 15 hrs. or more per week to devote to internship.
If filled by a Spiritual Care Provider:
The person who enters this position will work toward learning to provide for the spiritual needs of patients, families, caregivers, and staff, including volunteers. The Chaplain seeks excellence in pastoral care, which requires an authentic demeanor, compassion and skill in dealing with the spiritual dynamics of illness, loss, and death.
If filled by a Social Worker, Counselor, or other psych-social professional:
The person who enters this position will work toward learning to provide for the psycho-social and emotional needs of patients, families, caregivers, and staff, including volunteers. This person will seek excellence in companioning patients, families and caregivers, which requires an authentic demeanor, compassion and skill in dealing with the dynamics of illness, loss, and death.
Other learning expectations of the position:
- Assisting the Bereavement Services Manager (BSM) in tracking the needs of bereaved families.
- Working with grief and bereavement groups.
- Making bereavement check-in calls with family members.
- Assisting with memorials, staff-support events, and other special bereavement activities.
- Learning about Bereavement theory, education, and interventions.
- Assisting with paperwork associated with the Bereavement program.
Monthly Stipend: Mileage reimbursement only
Car Required?: Yes
355 Lennon Lane, Suite 150
Walnut Creek, CA 94598