St. John's Episcopal (Ross, CA) - Youth and Family Minister
St John’s Episcopal Church in Ross, CA (www.stjohnsross.org) is looking for a full-time Youth and Family Minister. We are a thriving and growing community of all ages. Clergy and lay ministers serve together with staff and volunteers to provide a robust environment of fellowship and faith formation for children, youth and families, and we are looking to expand our current program.
Applicants should have previous experience working with youth and families in a Christian church, including experience implementing faith formation curriculum for children and teens. Familiarity with the Episcopal Church is preferred, but not required. An ability to connect with and inspire youth is essential, as is an ability to work with parents and volunteers in an organized and thoughtful way.
The Youth and Family Minister (YFM) will be supervised by, and report to, the Associate Priest. Many of the YFM’s duties, as listed below, will also require some degree of collaboration with other staff. Annual review of the position will entail a mutual review overseen by the Rector.
The YFM will concentrate on nourishing and enriching the spiritual life of families by supporting our weekly Sunday School program (including overseeing Nursery care and curriculum and volunteer coordination for all Sunday School classes, grades pre-K through 12), helping lead our 9am Family Service, and serving as primary adult mentor and leader of our Junior and Senior High Youth Groups. Recruiting and coordinating adult mentors and other volunteers is a priority. Maintaining office hours and weekday availability to meet with (i.e., hang out with) youth is very important. The YFM must be able to make good use of communications technology to stay in touch with youth (i.e., Facebook, texting, etc.)
1. Coordinate, plan, and lead youth and families in service activities including our two summer Mission Trips (one each for Jr. and Sr. High), as well as other periodic service opportunities for youth and families with younger children.
2. Organize, plan, provide leadership for, and recruit volunteers to staff our annual Vacation Bible School (one week in Summer).
3. Coordinate special events to engage families in community and reach out to new families, including the Christmas Pageant and other seasonal activities.
4. Function as an essential component of the Program Staff, providing administrative leadership for all Youth and Family Ministries as they relate to the larger life of the parish. The YFM is also responsible for implementing Diocesan policies regarding youth ministry, including training and background checks for volunteers.
5. Additional duties as assigned.
Time and Compensation
This is a full-time position. Compensation includes salary commensurate with experience; and health, dental, and other benefits as defined by Diocesan policy.
Please send a résumé and cover letter to Stephen Hassett at the address below.