Skyline Community Church, UCC
If, in your field education experience, you are seeking:
- a church that is guided by the teachings of Jesus in an open-minded and progressive way;
- a way to work for justice and peace, both locally and globally, having built a school and funded 5 teachers in Sierra Leone;
- a beautiful, inspiring, natural setting, in the hills of Oakland, including a labyrinth, state of the art AV equipment, WIFI and acoustics in our sanctuary;
- a diverse, inclusive, multi-racial, open and affirming community;
- inspiring preaching and music;
- a community where God’s love knows no bounds, where all are welcome, young, old, rich, poor, different colors and sexual orientation;
Then, Skyline is the place for you!
WHO WE ARE:
We are a progressive, open and affirming, justice-oriented church. We are blessed with a beautiful sanctuary, a diverse and talented faith community, and a wonderful preschool.
The seminarian will be involved in all areas of church life, based on their interests and expertise and the priorities of the congregation. These areas include worship, education, mission, children, and family programs.
Your placement will enhance the life of the Skyline faith community by calling forth your unique gifts and offering those to the wider community. For example, if your particular passion is in the arts, community-based organizing, or in education, we will provide opportunities for you to create specialized ministries in these areas which will benefit the church and wider communities.
About your mentor:
I have supervised many people, in my experience as a manager with enlightened organizations, such as Hewlett-Packard Company, and churches like Riverside Church in NYC, and I have mentored eight PSR seminarians. I’m often told that I am a dedicated and motivational mentor, and excel at bringing forth each person’s unique potential. I have loved mentoring and so have my mentees, many of whom are now employed as solo pastors or associates at various UCC churches.
Monthly Stipend: $400
Car Required?: Yes*
*Having a car is easiest, but CYF director is willing to offer rides on Sunday mornings to students.
12540 Skyline Blvd.
Oakland, CA 94619