Senior Level Executive Assistant, Office of the General Secretary, General Board of Church and Society UMC, Washington D.C.
The General Board of Church & Society (GBCS) of The United Methodist Church is the social justice and public policy agency of the denomination headquartered in the United Methodist Building on Capitol Hill in Washington DC. GBCS is responsible for seeking implementation of the United Methodist Social Principles. The General Secretary, the agency’s chief executive, is searching for a skilled Senior Level Executive Assistant with a high level of professionalism.
The ideal candidate must be exceptionally well-organized, highly skilled, flexible, responsible, and resourceful person who enjoys the challenges of supporting an office of diverse people and programs. This person is expected to exercise initiative, good judgment and discretion related to the broad range of responsibilities lodged in the General Secretary’s office. This person must be able to work independently, coordinating high-level executive functions with a wide latitude for independent judgment. Confidentiality is crucial to this role.
The successful candidate must have the ability to multi-task with supreme attention to detail and have the ability to think on his or her feet. This person must be able to schedule off-site board meetings and perform project management functions. This person is expected to work cooperatively with staff in a team approach.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide senior executive-level support for the General Secretary and the Assistant General Secretary for Human Resources, and serve as the primary point of contact for the General Secretary (GS).
- Positively represent the executives’ office with all levels inside and outside of the agency.
- Manage the General Secretary’s daily calendar, schedule meetings including substantively and logistically preparing the GS for all meetings, arrange domestic and international travel and coordinate arrangements for meetings, conferences and GBCS board meetings.
- Prepare board meeting minutes and manage onsite administrative staff to complete meeting workload
- Prepare, edit and type with an expert-level proficiency a variety of confidential correspondence and reports.
- Proofread and edit speeches and sermons.
- Maintain names in the GBCS Salsa database for the GS office.
- Manage the office of the General Secretary which requires comprehensive knowledge of executive operations, policies and practices.
- Manage the flow of all communications with the General Secretary, email and U.S. Postal Service correspondence, respond to all information requests, arrange conference calls and screen incoming calls.
- Prepare, file and maintain expense forms, travel requests and check requests in the financially accepted format for travel reimbursement for the GS and the AGS for Human Resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Add value by keeping abreast of the agency’s mission, vision and progress as well as a functional knowledge of The United Methodist Church structure and policy.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in English, Business Administration or equivalent work experience, excellent writing skills are a must.
- Self starter with a solid work history.
- Prefer 8-10 years of experience in support at the executive level.
- Must be able to work independently and effectively while demonstrating initiative.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with persons at all levels, both verbally and in writing commensurate with a highly visible position.
- Expert-level proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Access, Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Must be able to work in Washington, D.C.; no paid relocation.
Annual salary of $66,300, factored level 12, pension benefits, 22 days of paid vacation, sick leave, comprehensive medical, dental and accidental-death insurance; other benefits as outlined in the Employee Personnel Manual. This is a full-time exempt position with 5-10% travel.
The General Board of Church & Society is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, age, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.