Program Coordinator/Youth Advocate - Youth Spirit Artworks, Berkeley
Program Coordinator/Youth Advocate
Youth Spirit Artworks is looking for a Program Coordinator/Youth Advocate to both oversee program activities of our East Bay urban arts job training program empowering homeless & low-income youth and to work as a resources advocate for homeless high school youth in the Berkeley schools who are engaged in YSA’s program.
Hours after school:
- Mon. 3:30pm to 7:30pm,
- Tues. to Fri. 3:30pm to 6:30pm
- with flexibility for the additional 4 hours worked and structuring the specific after school hours covered day to day.
- Masters degree in social work or a related area;
- M. Div. training and interest in working in an interfaith/spiritual context with members of the interfaith religious community a plus;
- 2+ years experience handling collection of program data, maintaining program records, and completing government reports essential;
- 2 years experience, as well as ability & passion for performance measurement, including setting and meeting program goals and developing and implementing outcome evaluation tools/systems;
- 2+ years experience managing new or expanding programs, developing effective systems for carrying out work;
- 2+ years experience working with diverse ethnic/racial populations in an urban setting and strong cultural competency;
- Experience working with homeless/at risk youth a plus;
- Commitment to & passion for development of a strongly youth-led program with youth leadership at every level;
- Passion for securing resources for youth, dogged determination to get results meeting youth needs for housing, therapy, legal resources, etc. Willingness to go the extra mile;
- Experience with curriculum development a plus;
- Experience engaging, inspiring and managing volunteers required;
- Ability to be patient, flexible and easygoing with a young/growing program essential;
- Detail oriented with strong follow through abilities;
- Punctual, responsible, and dependable;
- Enthusiastic and hard-working;
- Strong leadership abilities connecting with and organizing young people;
- Experience with and commitment to using a strengths-focused (Youth Development) model essential;
- Ability to work with a small staff, at least in the short-term, essential;
- Commitment to and experience using non-violent communication, setting limits and maintaining strong boundaries nonviolently;
- Ability to work in a progressive work culture with strong concerns related to social justice.
- Work with program logic model to create/strengthen performance measurement framework and assessment tools for all YSA programs and responsible for carrying out all performance measurement work for YSA;
- Responsible for all data collection and outcomes reporting related to YSA government contracts;
- Oversee intern organizing of weekly trainings on diverse subjects pertaining to youth development in alignment with YSA program logic model;
- Work with Intern & YSA Leader Team & youth in developing and strengthening core program curriculum;
- Work with Peer Vocations Coordinator in ensuring completion of all participant applicant materials, program assessments and evaluations, and program covenant-related paperwork;
- Oversee facilitation of regular Friday Youth Empowerment Group meetings & weekly Monday Leader Team Meetings;
- Work with Peer Vocations Coordinator & youth Leaders facilitating peer goal setting and fulfillment of individual youth vocational and professional goals and activities needed to reach goals;
- Seek out interns, volunteers and other resources strengthening and expanding YSA’s training program and work with YSA’s Executive Director as needed in managing these resources.
- Carry out regular weekly outreach at Berkeley schools & local agencies referring youth to our program and team with key staff people at Berkeley High & BTech in meeting youth needs for resources and support;
- Meet with BHS & BTech youth one on one to assess individual youth needs & share about YSA’s program;
- Obtain information from Peer Mentor Program Leaders regarding needed resources for individual youth based on individual goals set;
- Carry out work connecting with agencies needed to acquire resources for youth.
- Supervise youth Peer Vocations Coordinator assisting with goal setting work and other efforts supporting youth;
- Support Jr. Artists and Apprentice Leaders in their efforts climbing YSA’s Progression Ladder.
Send cover letter and resume to
Youth Spirit Artworks,
Sally Hindman, Executive Director,