Minister of Music – Sycamore Congregational Church UCC
Sycamore Congregational Church UCC in El Cerrito is seeking a Minister of Music to enrich the worship lives of members, friends, and visitors. Interested candidates should review the job description below and send a resume, cover letter, and professional references via email to kevinomi[at]comcast[dot]net or send them to the church office at 1111 Navellier Street, El Cerrito, CA 94530. This is a part time position (7-10 hours/week) that pays a salary of $12,000/year.
Job Description: Minister of Music
General description and purpose: The Minister of Music is responsible for adding depth and diversity to the spiritual lives of attendees of worship and other events at Sycamore through the musical arts. After consulting with the pastoral staff, the Minister of Music will be in charge of ensuring that there is inspiring music in worship each Sunday. This newly created position includes working with the Pastors, Church Secretary, and lay leaders to develop a well-rounded music ministry for worship services and special events.
Sycamore usually has two services each Sunday:
- 9:45 Nichigobu (Japanese language) service (15-20 in worship)
- 11:00 Eigo (English language) service (45-50 in worship)
Additionally, we have ten bilingual services per year. These bilingual services normally attract a larger number of people to worship, including families of current and past Preschool families, which can result in services of 100-120 people. On these Sundays, there is a single service rather than two services.
Accountable to: Co-Senior Pastors
- Plan and facilitate effective musical leadership for all worship services (both English and Japanese) by scheduling organists, pianists, and other worship leaders. The Minister of Music will identify volunteer talent within the congregation and wider community and foster creation of a pool of musicians for services. We currently have a few people that are regularly called upon to play the piano and/or organ. By default, the Minister of Music will lead musical elements for most of our services, but our hope is to offer a variety of musical experiences so that the Minister of Music need not be present at all services.
- Sycamore is initiating a church renewal effort for which we have created a series of strategies and plans. The Minister of Music will drive the musical aspects of these strategies and enlist others as needed.
- While Sycamore currently does not have a choir, the Minister of Music should evaluate potential interest among members and friends of the congregation, including youth and adult members, to form a choir. The Minister of Music should plan to be in touch with each Sunday’s musicians briefly during the week prior to services.
- We would like to expand from our current primary reliance on a compiled set of hymns that was assembled about 10 years ago to a wider range of hymns and hymnals, including the New Century Hymnal, Chalice Hymnal, a Japanese hymnal used at the church, praise music (reflecting a progressive theology) and other forms of music.
- Consult with the Pastors, Worship Committee, and special musicians for all worship services, especially for hymn selection and scheduling/selection of special music.
- Work with the Pastors and others to drive innovation in the congregation’s music ministry, seeking out alternative worship styles and formats. Participate in continuing education opportunities to gain new ideas and expertise.
- Prepare appropriate music for special services such as Easter and Christmas.
- Handbell choir: In preparation for Christmas Eve and Easter services, Sycamore has about 8 members who practice several weeks prior to these services and then play 3-4 pieces during these bilingual services. The Minister of Music will conduct the handbell choir during both rehearsals and these worship services.
- Work with the Church Secretary and Pastors to ensure accurate information is printed in the bulletin and other printed materials. Submit content for the Sycamore Tree, the monthly newsletter.
- Ensure that the music library of the church is organized and maintained. Purchase new materials as required. Monitor copyright restrictions and ensure appropriate licensing is maintained.
- Attend meetings of the Worship Committee and monthly worship planning meetings.
- Assist in budget planning for the music ministry with the Worship Team. Manage expenses to the approved budget.
- Ensure the proper maintenance of musical instruments, keeping them in good playing condition. Manage relationships with external service providers such as piano tuners and organ technicians.
- Places the musical arts in the context of Christian worship and seeks to live a life of faith. At least 5 years of experience with music in Christian worship, as a musician or participant. Ordination not required.
- Skilled organist and pianist. Ability to lead the congregation from the piano or organ. Skills in using other instruments are welcome! Our congregation has a few stronger singers but is somewhat reticent.
- Ability to work with multiple age groups, from preschoolers to adults.
- Enthusiastic. Organized. Excellent personal communication skills (written, verbal, and listening) are essential.
- Bachelor’s degree with a music major or minor. Equivalent experience and knowledge can be substituted in lieu of this educational requirement.
Sycamore Congregational Church UCC is a diverse church that welcomes all people. We are a Japanese/English bilingual member of the United Church of Christ in El Cerrito. While Sycamore is committed to serving the Japanese speaking community and celebrating Japanese culture and traditions through worship, education, and community events, we are blessed with a diverse congregation and welcome all of God's people.
Please see the application instructions in the first paragraph above.
Posted: March 1, 2013