First Congregational Church of Sonoma, UCC
The First Congregational Church of Sonoma, United Church of Christ, is a small, vibrant, Open and Affirming congregation located in the heart of Sonoma.
We share our campus with the local Jewish congregation, Congregation Shir Shalom, as well as the Old Adobe Preschool, and have a strong commitment to interfaith conversation and community.
FCC Sonoma is committed to spiritual exploration and loving service and is seeking a field education student interested in participating in numerous facets of ministry. We anticipate that a field education student's activities would involve both current congregational activities and projects arising from his or her particular interests and gifts.
Current FCC Sonoma ministries include the following:
- Weekly worship
- Sunday School for children
- Quarterly Taize services
- Youth group
- Small group ministries and advocacy (spirituality, prison reform study and action, men's group, thrift shop, Mideast study and action, peace study and action)
- Weekly meditation group
- Lay care team
- Pastoral care and visiting
- Book studies
- Co-sponsoring the Sonoma Valley CROP Hunger Walk
- Biennial work trips with Seeds of Learning to Nicaragua (odd-numbered years in the fall) and with Re-Member to South Dakota (even-numbered years in the late spring)
A field education student's work might include any of these areas of particular congregational interest:
- Living more fully into FCC Sonoma's Earth Care Covenant
- Centering prayer, lectio divina, and other spiritual practices
- Outreach to LGBT youth
- Worship experimentation
More than anything else, what FCC Sonoma is seeking in a field education student is someone with a sense of humor, a sense of adventure, and a desire to share his or her spiritual gifts with a congregation that embraces its call to love one another and the world and is open to learning how to live that love more freely and more creatively.
FCC Sonoma is offering a monthly stipend of $500, and members of the congregation will be able to provide housing one or two nights a week.
Monthly Stipend: $500
Car Required: Yes (for getting to and from Sonoma)
252 West Spain Street
Sonoma, CA 95476