East Bay Housing Organizations (Interfaith Communities United Initiative)
"East Bay Housing Organizations (EBHO) is dedicated to working with communities across Alameda and Contra Costa counties to preserve, protect and expand affordable housing opportunities through education, advocacy and coalition building." Interfaith Communities United (ICU) is a project of EBHO.
"EBHO’s Interfaith Communities United re-engages compassion, reduces fear and lifts up our shared humanity by building partnerships between diverse faith communities and housing advocates and by sharing the hope-full and faith-full stories of people in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties working together to create housing with dignity for all." A field ed intern at EBHO would be a part of the following, depending on their passions, gifts and growing edges:
- helping to coordinate meetings of ICU leaders to develop program;
- participation in program and promotion of annual interfaith breakfast, "Shelter in a Time of Storms";
- coordinating trainings for congregational leaders to learn about affordable housing;
- taking oral histories of congregations that have engaged in issues of affordable housing and individuals whose lives have been changed by affordable housing and by being advocates for affordable housing;
- helping coordinate and develop resources for “Housing Sabbath,” a weekend where faith leaders address issues of affordable housing in their houses of worship; and
- outreach to diverse faith communities to engage in specific actions around affordable housing (and its intersection with other justice issues as issues of faith).
EBHO’s ICU relies on a "faith-rooted organizing" model that begins with the distinctive contribution of faith traditions to justice work. Therefore, this internship will allow for significant spiritual reflection by the field ed student rather than simply project work.
Monthly Stipend: $200
Car Required?: No
538 9th St., Suite 200
Oakland, CA 94607