Director of Faith Formation and Youth Ministries, Ladera Community Church
Ladera Community Church, an open and affirming United Church of Christ (UCC) congregation in Portola Valley, California, is seeking a Director of Faith Formation and Youth Ministries. We are open to filling this position with a single candidate or alternatively we would consider two candidates job focusing on different aspects of the position. We seek a candidate(s) who is deeply committed in the Christian faith to guide our children, youth and adults to deepen and enhance their faith in relation to God, the church, their family, their community, and the world.
Develop new programs and/or maintain existing programs to provide opportunities for the faith development of all ages. In keeping with the vision of LCC and the counsel of Board of Ministries, promote integration of thematic programs. Be on site Sunday mornings to meet the needs of church school teachers, children, youth and congregation.
Sunday morning church school for Pre-K through 8th grade
- In addition to overall program administration, lead the “Time with the Children” during morning worship
Youth program for middle school and high school
- Work with youth and families to maintain church engagement of recent confirmands
- Develop and grow nascent youth program and youth group
- In cooperation with the Pastor, provide confirmation class when needed
- Coordinate and oversee our post-Sunday morning worship program (“Second Hour” Programs)
- In cooperation with the Pastor, provide spiritual retreat opportunities
- Provide hands on support for new and existing programs, including providing curriculum, maintaining supplies, organizing Sunday school classrooms, purchasing food, recruiting volunteers, and coordinating events.
- Support parents in their role as the primary faith formation instructors to our children and youth
- Meet regularly with relevant ministry teams and the Board of Ministries to discuss, design and implement programs and curricula for all levels of faith development.
- Working with various ministry teams and staff, promote and publicize programs to the congregation and community
- Recruit, train, coordinate, oversee, and offer continuing support for Sunday School teachers and other participants in the church’s faith formation programs
- Develop, manage and execute the annual Christmas pageant, and other special events as directed by the Pastor or Board of Ministries
- Develop, manage, and execute regular inter-generational fellowship events
- Ensure cross-program cohesion with Worship, Faith Formation, and Mission and Service
- Promote and coordinate intergenerational social and outreach activities as called upon to do so
- Prepare budgets for faith formation programs
- Understand and support the vision of Ladera Community Church (see website)
- Willingness to attend training, develop familiarity, and leverage available resources
- Attend staff meetings as called, typically once per month
- Involve youth and children in out-reach projects (i.e. mission, work projects etc.)
- Develop programs that use principles of the United Church of Christ to challenge church members to engage, reflect, discern, develop relationships of justice, and live with hope, passion, integrity and purpose. The Director of Faith Formation is accountable to the Pastor as Head of Staff.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Ability to appropriately share one’s experience of faith and to invite others to explore their own sense of faith, spirituality and the promotion of justice.
- Knowledge of and professional experience in leading faith formation for all age groups
- Ability to work effectively with and appreciate a richly diverse environment
- Familiarity with theology, practice and tradition of the United Church of Christ
- Supportive of our faith stance which is consistent with the eight principles of progressive Christianity
- Effective administrator with team approach to leadership, experience recruiting and coordinating volunteers desirable
- Person of growth who brings new ideas and passion/enthusiasm to their work
- Interested in use of creative arts in faith formation - music, drama, visual arts, etc.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
Exempt – 35 hrs/week: On-site Sundays and during the week
$35,000-45,000 depending on qualifications and experience
If interested, please send resume, short statement of your vision of faith formation and youth ministries, and references to: Ladera Search [email@example.com]
We will be reviewing candidates in the next few weeks, so please respond promptly. Thank you.
Posted: June 21, 2013