Director of CYF Ministries, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
Statement of Purpose
The Director of Youth and Family Ministries works to engage, inspire, and nurture young people and their families in the Christian faith. This person shall work an average of 10 – 15 hours per week and is responsible for overseeing, implementing, leading, and recruiting lay leadership for a children's ministry program. This person shall work closely with the Pastor, Sunday School and Youth ministry team. We expect this role to serve all children elementary through high school. To begin, there will be more focus on elementary programs.
The Director of Youth and Family Ministries will:
- help coordinate the Sunday School program, serving ages 4-12,
- recruit and train new lay leaders in the area of Youth and Family ministries,
- be a resource for new and existing Sunday School teachers,
- create and initiate fun social events for children and parents that children want to attend,
- attend worship at Holy Trinity at least twice a month, and regularly lead a Children's sermon,
- attend and possibly help plan occasional events for High School and Middle School youth,
- coordinate Youth-led Sunday,
- liaise with other local churches to explore joint programs,
- help coordinate the annual Vacation Bible School in August (run by Mt. Cross, with logistical support by Holy Trinity),
- help plan and implement children's activities during the summer when Sunday School is on hiatus, e.g. special music, crafts, acting out Bible stories,
- help coordinate the annual Christmas pageant,
- support Holy Trinity’s Safe Congregations policy.
The candidate must:
- be knowledgeable about children, including a basic understanding of age-level characteristics.
- have a genuine love of children and enthusiasm for working with them.
- be of Lutheran background or of a similar Christian tradition
- be an effective communicator with children and families.
- be a good listener and be able to establish rapport with children.
- be supportive of parents as well as their children.
- be able to balance the creative side of planning activities with the logistical needs.
- be able to manage time wisely and possess strong organizational skills.
- undergo a standard background check and fingerprinting.
In addition, it is desired that the candidate have:
- a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution (or similar/equivalent)
- previous experience in the area of youth ministry
- professional training in a related field (eg, Master's-level work in Child Development, seminary training, or a CA teaching credential)
- be able to sing and to teach simple songs to children.
- experience and skills such as crafts, arts, sports, guitar, piano, or theater
Background on Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, San Carlos
Holy Trinity is a small, thriving and viable congregation on the mid-Peninsula. Average weekly attendance is approximately 80, with about 15 of those in preK-8th grade. The Children's Church (Sunday School) program currently consists of 3 classes: preschool-K, 1st-3rd grade, and 4th-7th grade. The classes coincide with a portion of the worship service, and there are 3 teachers per class who rotate weekly. One Sunday a month is the Youth-led service, where children are encouraged to lead prayers, play an instrument, sing in the choir, usher, and/or read the lessons. The confirmation and High School Youth Group events are in partnership with Messiah Lutheran Church in Redwood City. Holy Trinity is known for being open, friendly, and welcoming to all.
This is a part-time position, focused on strengthening children's relationships with God and the wider community. Work will be 10 – 15 hours per week. If successful in our community, there may be opportunities for the work hours to expand. The hours are somewhat flexible, and will include attending worship a minimum of twice monthly as well as attending some evening or weekend social events.
The Youth Director is expected to meet regularly with the Pastor who is the staff supervisor. Support is provided by the Youth and Mutual Ministry Teams, and there will be an annual review process.
Compensation commensurate with experience; paid vacation and potential for benefits such as continuing education.