Director of Children and Youth Ministry, Community UMC (Half Moon Bay, CA)
Half Moon Bay is a stunningly beautiful coastal community in which to live and do ministry. Our congregation is committed to children and youth because they aren’t the church of the future - they are the church of today. Our mission is to inspire young people to develop and deepen a relationship with Christ so that their faith makes a difference in their lives and in the world.
We are a congregation that has the resources and the depth of discipleship to envision creative and innovative ministry. For example, we send more than 50 students on weeklong mission trips each summer to Native American Reservations and inner-city Los Angeles; and we built a water system for a village in Kenya which provides water to 50,000 people.
The potentials here are great - and we have a solid base from which to grow. Currently worshiping 190 on Sundays, we have about 40 children, 45 youth, about 10 volunteers participating in our Children and Youth Ministries regularly. Special events can draw up to 100 participants. We value collaboration, a "whatever it takes" attitude, and a willingness to try new things.
This position will hold primary responsibility to design, coordinate and implement a comprehensive ministry program for children and youth at CUMC. This ministry will require innovation, collaboration, boldness, discernment, communication, and faithfulness. Some of the details of the job expectations are outlined below:
- Engage and outreach with children, youth and adults in our congregation and in the community. Plan outreach events for children and youth outside the church.
- Provide opportunities for students to serve the community.
- Support the CUMC vision to have a quality, age-appropriate, ministry program which integrates Sunday School, Summer Camps, Methodist Youth Fellowship (youth fellowship activities), Confirmation, Community Service, and other children, youth and family activities.
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with the senior pastor, staff, and leadership teams regarding the goals and activities of and children and youth.
- Work together on church-wide projects and ministries so that the youth and children are an integrated part of our church family.
- Provide direction and leadership in recruiting, training and supporting teachers, mentors and program facilitators.
- Work with church leadership create a strategic plan for fulfilling our mission with the children and youth of Half Moon Bay, that includes goals, action steps, timelines, and measurable outcomes.
- Oversee and/or administer all aspects of the Children and Youth Ministry including budgeting, attendance, paperwork, registrations, and communication tasks.
- Oversee, administer, and ensure compliance with all components of the Child Youth Safety Policy.
- Bring the message at the Sunday morning worship service, make pastoral calls, or otherwise assist the Senior Pastor when requested.
Spirituality: Able to communicate Christian faith as an authentic expression of one’s own identity.
Skills/Aptitudes: An excellent communicator with both children and adults making use of diverse tools such as website, print, email, and social media. Team player, leader, ability to work with church staff, leadership, volunteers, parents, and church members with diverse experience and skills. Lifelong learner with a willingness to try new and bold ideas. Ability to exercise a high degree of discretion, independent judgment, and reliability.
Experience & Knowledge: Minimum of 2-3 years work experience with children and/or youth in a Christian setting. Experience in ministry design, administration, and volunteer recruitment/support. Thorough understanding of methods and styles of delivering children and youth ministry programs in a Christian setting.
Education: Four-year college degree (BA/BS) is preferred. Training in early childhood education, adolescent development, Christian education and or Youth Ministry is desirable.
This is a full-time position.
Compensation and benefit package is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.