Choir Director: Eden UCC, Hayward
The Choir Director is a key partner, with the Senior Minister, in providing for the spiritual nurture of the congregation, through the planning and conducting of worship music that draws on the gifts of Eden’s members and friends. The primary responsibilities and accountabilities of the Choir Director include the following:
- In collaboration with the Worship Team, plan, select, and conduct choral music for the weekly Sunday morning worship service, and Maundy Thursday, Ash Wednesday, and Christmas Eve services.
- Plan and conduct weekly choir and ensemble rehearsals.
- Assist in the recruitment, selection of musical repertoire, and formation of ensembles for the Sunday morning worship services in which the choir is absent.
- Contribute knowledge and ideas to help build the congregation’s musical repertoire, especially music published within the past 30 years.
- Offer advice, direction, or networking connections, as able, for the recruitment and preparation of musicians for church events beyond Sunday morning worship services, including special services, such as memorials, weddings, holiday services, and/or concerts.
Safe Congregations Programs
- With the Senior Minister, Education and Spiritual Life Coordinator, and Church Council, implement Eden’s Safe Congregation Policies and Procedures.
- Communicate plans in a timely manner to musicians who are performing during Eden’s worship services or special events.
- Communicate choir plans to the Church Administrator in a timely manner.
- Participate in monthly Worship Team music planning meetings, as scheduled by the Senior Minister and music staff.
- Insure that Eden’s choir program is always in compliance with state and federal copyright laws.
- Meet with the Music Committee, if requested, at times that are mutually agreeable to the Committee and the Choir Director.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in sacred music or related field
- Professional conducting experience in a church setting
- Proven ability to work effectively with diverse populations and multiple stakeholders
- Healthy and effective interpersonal and communications skills
- Expressed commitment to the spiritual and numeric growth of Eden Church
- A personal faith that inspires faithfulness in others
- Availability to conduct weekly music rehearsals and choral, ensemble, and congregational music in Sunday worship, 38 of 40 weeks, between August 16 and June 15
- Ability to successfully pass Eden’s Safe Congregation background check, including education, employment, and Social Security verification, and professional reference, DMV, and credit checks.
Classification: Program, Exempt, Quarter-Time, August 16−June 15
Compensation: $1,500/mo. gross compensation (10 mos./year)
Posted: Sept 9, 2013