Assistant Minister for Family Ministry and Young Adults (half-time), Berkeley Methodist United Church
Berkeley Methodist United Church (BMUC) in Berkeley, California seeks an Assistant Minister to establish a new program/ministry for families and young adults. The purpose of this new program is to help renew and transform an existing church into a growing and vital church. BMUC is a reconciling church, welcoming all persons, regardless of ethnic origin, race, color, gender preference, etc. while continuing to honor its Japanese American and Pan Asian traditional roots.
Salary DOQ, in the general range of $2500 per month (no benefits).
The ideal candidate will:
- Be spirit led and joy filled
- Have experience and passion for working effectively with young adults, parents, children and youth from diverse cultures
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively as a member of a small church staff;
- Ability to communicate effectively in speaking and writing (occasional preaching required) and in social media;
- Demonstrated ability to teach effectively with small groups;
- Demonstrated ability to creatively develop and lead programs;
- Working knowledge of child development and current young adult/youth cultures;
- Have two years of experience in a similar position, and a BA degree in religious studies or a related field
- Commit to two years of service
- Commit to implementing BMU’s mission statement (below)
Under the general direction of the Pastor, the Assistant Minister will recruit and equip parents and children with opportunities and resources to grow in personal faith, build relationships between members of the church, and involve people in hands-on application of the Christian and spiritual ideals in everyday life.
The Assistant Minister will collaborate with the Pastor, parents of youth and young adults, the Youth Choir Director, Sunday School Superintendent and others to recruit new participants, initiate and maintain programs and activities that encourage faith-nurturing relationships among young adults, parents, youth, family, extended family, and intergenerationally, and the active expression of faith in the community and the world.
The Assistant Minister will:
--Develop relationships and conduct needs assessment with existing young adults and families (first six months);
--Based on existing Spiritual Formation Study and needs assessment, initiate at least two new programs for spiritual formation and recruitment (first year);
--Recruit at least 5 new participants (single young adults or families) in the first 18 months;
--Develop a program of spiritual nurture for Sunday School teachers and assist the Sunday School Superintendents in the selection of curricula and training of Sunday School teachers (first year);
--Utilize social media and existing church publications for recruitment and promotion of activities;
--Assist Pastor and Renewal Committee in developing a strategy and programs for reaching unchurched people including but not limited to the Japanese/Asian American community and the BMUC neighborhood.
BERKELEY METHODIST UNITED CHURCH
VISION AND MISSION STATEMENT
As part of our mission, Berkeley Methodist United Church seeks to create a diverse community and welcomes people of all ethnicities, all economic circumstances and all sexual orientations and gender identities.
Changing lives, transforming communities, and renewing the church.
Joyfully sing God’s love to all, diligently work for peace and justice, and lovingly uplift each other.
1. We preserve and honor the memories and traditions of our Japanese-American founders, as we celebrate our multi-cultural present.
2. We serve families and all persons in deepening their relationships with God, by our Christian commitment to knowing, loving and serving God.
3. We believe in creating a community of unconditional acceptance.
4. We serve our community and the world by extending peace and justice beyond our walls.
5. We experience and share God’s presence through creative expression.