Administrative Coordinator, People's Grocery (Oakland)
People's Grocery operates at the intersection of public health, economic development, and food systems. Our mission is to improve the health and local economy of West Oakland through investing in the local food system. Using West Oakland as a model of leadership development, micro-enterprise creation and health project development, we aim to support and develop a thriving network of like-minded change-agents in cities across the nation. Since 2003 we have pursued positive community change and addressed social determinants of health through food to ensure that community self-determination plays a primary role in revitalizing historically underinvested neighborhoods.
The Administrative Coordinator is responsible for executive and fundraising support, program support, and office management. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position's primary responsibility is ensuring the administrative effectiveness of the organization. The position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices, and interacts with the Board of Directors.
Responsibilities: Administrative Coordination (85%)
- Managing day-to-day processing of accounts receivable and payable using QuickBooks, producing reports as requested.
- Maintaining People’s Grocery's archival and administrative files.
- Administering payroll and employee benefits and organizational insurance.
- Ensure that Accounting Department requests are resolved and communicated in a timely manner to internal and external parties.
- Develop, maintain and monitor all fundraising and accounting systems and procedures capturing all billings and receipts and for the recording of all revenue transactions, recommend and implement improvements to systems.
- Individual Donor Management: this includes Nation Builder Database management, thank you notes, quarterly donor reports, annual reports for the organization, and special event support as needed.
- Grants Management: this includes filing grant letters, mailing grants when appropriate, drafting grant reports with the Program Director, and entering grant information into Nation Builder
- Support to Board of Directors, including note taking at meetings, preparation and distribution of board packets.
- Act as liaison between fiscal entities and organization as needed—specifically, interactions related to the IRS, Franchise Tax Board, etc.
- Serve as primary liaison to legal counsel in addressing legal issues e.g. copyright, antitrust, governing instruments, partnerships, licensing etc.
- Oversee organizational insurance policies.
- Executive Support: this includes special project support and scheduling, as required
Office Management (15%)
- Coordinate the distribution of mail
- Management of Office supplies, including ordering and organizing supplies
- Management of Office Equipment, including Alarm, Phones, Computers, Printers, Fax, Server, DVD, etc.
- Management of Office Appearance and Cleaning
- Management of Company Vehicles: Registration, Maintenance, etc.
- Education/experience requirement: bachelor's degree or at least 2 years in similar position
- Exceptional organizational and managerial skills with the ability to handle multiple priorities and projects simultaneously
- The ability to effectively manage complex organizational change
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to master complex issues and convey information clearly
- Strong interpersonal communication and relationship skills
- Strong editing skills
- Attention to detail
- Commitment to accuracy
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong contributor in team environments
- Core computer skills in word processing, data base management, spreadsheets and electronic communications (such as e-mail, creating distribution lists, participating in listserves, generating e-newsletters, etc.)
- Experience working in the food justice movement
- Experience working in disenfranchised communities and communities of color
Title: Administrative Coordinator, People’s Grocery
Classification: Full time, Non-Exempt Employee
Compensation: Salary Range for this position is $36-40,000 with benefits, including generous vacation time.
Reports to: Executive Director of People’s Grocery
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to search[at]peoplesgrocery[dot]org
Position is open until filled; resumes received by May 22nd will be given highest priority.
Posted: May 19, 2014