Writing Coach for PSR International Students
• Assist international students with English grammar, punctuation, syntax and style in writing assignments for classes as well as thesis writing.
• Assist students with the coherent construction of an argument and smooth flow of ideas, according to accepted standards for academic writing.
• Edit papers and meet individually with students to review their writing. Provide feedback to assist students to improve in their command of academic English.
• Report to the Coordinator of International Student Support regarding students’ progress.
• Meet occasionally with CIIS and the other Writing Coach to monitor flow of work and further develop writing program resources.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Excellent writing skills and thorough knowledge of English grammar.
• Ability to identify common difficulties and patterns in students’ writing.
• Ability to tutor students one-on-one effectively providing feedback, instruction, and encouragement so as to support students in becoming better writers.
• Ability to be available on a regular schedule to support international students in their academic work.
• Inter-cultural awareness and sensitivity in communicating with international students and fostering their integration into a North American academic setting.
• Tutoring experience
• Editing and proofreading experience
• Experience studying abroad or experience working/living in a cultural setting other than one’s own ethnic/racial background
Hours per week: 5
Date job is to begin: as soon as possible
Hourly rate: $13.00
Period of employment: Spring semester 2014, with possibility of working in Fall of 2015
Preferred work days: Flexible
Lucia Ann [Shan] McSpadden
Tel/email: 510-849-8250/ lmcspadden[at]psr[dot]edu
Application process: Please send resume and cover letter. Also include a brief writing
sample (at least 2 pages in length – previously written paper
acceptable), and names and contact information for 2 references.