General Job Summary
Full-time shifts are normally 7.5 hours per day with 1 hour for lunch, but can occasionally exceed 40 hours a week. Evening or weekend work is required in order to accomplish the job responsibilities for a 7 day a week dining program.
Under general supervision, the Cook I, in conjunction with other food production staff, is responsible for food preparation, recipe adherence and presentation of all food prepared during assigned shifts. The Cook I also provides quality control, warrants cleanliness, safety and sanitation of the dining hall and kitchen areas and equipment used in food preparation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1) Prepare food including cleaning, cutting, chopping, slicing, dicing, cooking and grilling etc.
2) Set-up, restock and clean salad bar and buffet.
3) Maintain equipment and meet sanitary requirements.
4) Wash dishes, pots and pans and other related items using the proper methods and cleaning materials.
5) Handle and operate the following equipment with sufficient knowledge to accomplish the
minimum requirements of the position: carts; storage racks; food choppers; slicers; mixers;
fryers; kettles; steamers; scales; ovens; grills; garbage disposal; knives; manual cutter; and
other related equipment.
6) Provide general cleaning of dining hall and kitchen areas including, sweeping, mopping and taking out garbage.
7) Secure PSR dining hall and kitchen.
8) Launder towels and uniforms.
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Experience and Abilities:
• Working knowledge of standard food items, food preparation and food production equipment including mixers, choppers, ovens, grills, steam tables, etc.
• Previous experience with kitchen work and food preparation
• Ability to read English sufficient to read food labels and recipes
• Ability to perform basic arithmetic calculations (add, subtract, multiply) as necessary for performance of job.
• Ability to speak English sufficient to communicate clearly to other staff and guests
• Ability to understand and follow instructions and manage multiple priorities to ensure operational efficiency
• Ability to know when quality of work is more important than quantity and vice versa, using independent judgment and initiative as appropriate.
• Good organizational and planning skills to organize own work, understanding how it fits in with the overall work of daily and weekly food preparation, and to meet deadlines.
• Ability to work in a high volume food service kitchen, to understand the ever changing aspects of the job and react appropriately for the efficient running of the kitchen, and work well with the pressure that comes with this type of environment.
• Ability to work cooperatively with Chef/Manager, Sous Chef, and co-employees to accomplish tasks quickly and efficiently.
• Good customer service skills.
• Possess current food Safety certificate, or obtain one within 60 days of hire
Compensation Package: Includes family medical, dental & vision insurance, employer contribution to 403(b) retirement plan, free parking.
PSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Candidates should submit an application/resume to Chef/Manager Andy Maxon at amaxon[at]psr[dot]edu.
We will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.