Administrative Assistant for Academic Affairs Office
The Administrative Assistant for Academic Affairs provides administrative support to the Academic Dean, Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs and Registrar, PSR faculty, adjunct faculty, visiting faculty and emeriti faculty as well as reception support to the Academic Affairs/Admissions offices. Responsibilities include providing administrative support for PSR courses such as assistance with class presentations, management and processing of course readers, online classroom set-up and support through Moodle, course evaluations, and course flyers. Responsibilities also include administrative support for the Dean including support for faculty committees, faculty publications (photocopying and mailing) processing correspondence for the Academic Dean and Assistant Dean; overseeing photocopying; book ordering; Internet searches; coordinating special projects for the Dean and Assistant Dean; event planning and supervising student workers, as needed. This is a full-time, benefited position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Assistant to the Dean
• Communicate accurate and appropriate academic and administrative information to others regarding policies overseen by Dean and Assistant Dean
• Provide or oversee general administrative assistance such as copying, collating,
• collecting, printing, distributing, mailing, and sending letters and emails on behalf of the
• Dean, as well as manage the Dean’s calendar and schedule appointments as requested.
• Send faxes, mass mailings and other high quality correspondence for the Dean that is institutionally required (such as frequent letters of recommendation), but not personal letters, memos and emails.
• Occasionally sign time sheets of employees of other departments overseen by Dean as instructed by Dean, when Dean is unavailable to do so.
• Administer the process for tracking and keep record of adjunct faculty and adjunct courses and teaching /research assistants according to Dean’s requests and policies;
• On behalf of the Dean, issue and mail employment agreements/contracts for PSR teaching/research assistants and adjunct faculty, and coordinate employment paperwork with the Human Resources Office.
• Collect and maintain syllabi for all PSR courses.
• Administer, collect, and maintain course evaluations (including online course evaluations) each term.
• Maintain the Dean’s files and archive materials in keeping with established record retention procedures.
• Assist Dean in calculating faculty FTE, in research for and production of reports for WASC or
other inquiries and reports for Dean’s Office, as needed.
• Welcome and facilitate transition of new faculty and Dean’s staff.
• Provide administrative assistance in faculty searches and reviews
• Arrange faculty activities and events, faculty and Dean’s staff farewells and welcomes as
• needed, which may include event planning and catering. Such events include Book
• Forums, faculty collegials, faculty dinners, the annual faculty retreat, and occasional
• special events. This includes administrative support for the Changemakers Program.
• Coordinate campus hospitality for visiting faculty.
• Assist the Dean in other special projects, as necessary and as assigned.
• Order office supplies as needed for the Dean’s office.
• Assist with budgetary tracking and organization as requested by the Dean.
• Administer Student Health Insurance enrollment and billing each semester
• Update annually the PSR Academic & Administrative Calendar
• Update contact information in Student Management System
Reception and Office Coordination
• Shares reception functions for Academic Affairs/Admissions Offices.
• Oversee the general day-to-day operation of the office.
Faculty Support and Administrative Assistance
• Provide administrative support for faculty such as overseeing photocopying, collating information of various kinds, printing, distributing, mailing, and sending letters and emails, coordinating processes for gathering and printing of course Readers. This includes posting articles, readings and documents on Student Learning Systems such as Moodle, scanning and emailing documents.
• Provide administrative support for faculty and Academic staff meetings (preparing faculty meeting packets for 8 meetings per year), faculty search committees, faculty standing committees, Student Services meetings, and Dean’s staff meetings, any ad-hoc faculty committees which may be created, the Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees; duties include production of agendas, taking minutes, gathering of resource materials and distribution of same along with minutes and meeting notices. Oversee logistical arrangements for these committees and meetings.
• Provide administrative support to adjunct, visiting and emeriti faculty, including orientation, assigning office space, and relaying email or messages to adjunct and emeriti faculty if needed. This may include overseeing photocopying, flyer creation, mail, emails, etc., for adjuncts, visiting and emeriti faculty.
• Provide/manage support for courses for core faculty, adjunct, visiting faculty, and emeriti faculty including contacting vendors for reader copies of course required/recommended texts, copying syllabi, coordinating processes for gathering and printing course Readers; posting readers on Moodle according to established protocols; helping put together PowerPoint presentations; setting up grading spread sheets in Excel for faculty, if needed.
• Provide, update, and distribute all orientation materials for adjuncts and teaching/research assistants which may include communication with other departments in order to obtain office assignments, parking permits, keys, library cards, and other “orientation” and hospitality needs. Also provide support for teaching assistants including communication and other course related support.
• Manage and update faculty, adjunct faculty, and emeriti faculty contact information in Datatel, website and other databases as needed.
• Facilitate textbook orders and desk copies from publishers from faculty and adjunct faculty for PSR classes.
• Send faxes, mass mailings and other high quality correspondence for faculty that is institutionally required (such as frequent letters of recommendation), but not personal letters, memos and emails.
• Notify students and others if scheduled appointments with faculty are cancelled. Also, notify students if class is cancelled.
• Maintain and update faculty, adjunct faculty, and emeriti faculty related pages on the PSR website.
• Open and sort mail if requested, and forward regular mail if requested, particularly for faculty on sabbatical.
• Order and maintain supplies and furniture/equipment for faculty.
• Hire, train, coordinate and supervise part-time student personnel as needed, including those providing faculty administrative support.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• A B.A./B.S. degree (A.A. possible) and two years of executive administrative experience
• Proven ability to handle confidential material accurately and with sensitivity
• Demonstrated organizational (including paper and e-file maintenance) and project
• management skills
• Demonstrated reception & customer service skills, with strong interpersonal and verbal
• communication skills
• Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities with efficiency and careful
• attention to detail
• Ability to work with frequent interruption and side conversations
• Proficiency with personal computers, preferably PC Windows based environment, and
• the following applications & tools:
Intermediate to advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat
Adaptable and quick to learn new software and technology
• Experienced and comfortable researching the Internet and using technological tools
• Comfortable asking questions or asking for help when needed, or when unsure
• Adept at working flexibly and being part of a collegial team environment
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural and diverse environment
• A commitment to dismantling racism and competent at cross-cultural relations
• Familiarity with higher education and religious environments
• Graphic design experience creating flyers
• Knowledge of, scanning software, and Datatel/Banner/Ellucian database systems
• Familiarity with web production content management systems and basic HTML
This is a full-time (37 hour/week), benefited regular staff position.
Interested candidates should send resume and letter of application addressing specifically the qualifications of this position to: hire[at]psr[dot]edu
Please put “Academic Office Admin Asst” in the subject line.
We will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.