Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I obtain an admissions application?
A: There are three ways to do this. You can download an application, request an application online or contact our admissions office.

Q: What are the admissions deadlines?
A: We have a rolling admissions policy which means you can apply throughout the year.  If housing, merit scholarships, and need-based scholarships are important to you, we encourage you to meet the following priority deadlines:  Fall = February 1 and Spring = October 1. Please note that if you are applying for the Master of Arts program you must request this application from the Graduate Theological Union. Deadlines for the M.A. application are February 1 and September 30. See our application procedures for more details.

Q: Is housing available?
A: Limited housing in our apartments, studios and dorms is available. To receive priority consideration you must apply by the February 1 deadline. Housing for students starting their studies during the Spring semester is much more limited.

Q: I don't have a bachelor's degree. Can I still apply for admission or take a course?
A: PSR admits a small number of students who have not completed an undergraduate degree. Usually such admission is with Provisional Status to the Master of Divinity or Master of Theological programs and is granted to those who have a strong vocational call to ministry supported by their faith communities. Ideally, students without a bachelor's degree should have completed three years of undergraduate level coursework.

Q: Can I transfer to PSR from another seminary?
A: Yes. If you are thinking about transferring to PSR from another seminary, we encourage you to send a copy of your transcript from your current school for preliminary evaluation by PSR's Registrar. This will clarify which requirements and how many credits you will need to complete for a PSR degree. Please note that at least one-third of all credits for a PSR degree must be earned at Pacific School of Religion. Also, if you are transferring into the Master of Divinity program, you must contact the Field Education Office during the application process to determine your field education requirements and to plan for a placement if necessary.

Q: Can I take a course without enrolling as a PSR student?
A: Yes. You may apply for Special Student status which allows you to take a course for credit of you can audit a course. You can also take a course during our January Intersession or the Summer Session.

Q: How do I arrange a campus visit?
A: To arrange a personalized visit, fill out the Visit Planner form.  If you want to visit today or for more information, contact the Admissions Ofice.  The best times to visit PSR are Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays during the Fall or Spring semesters. Our Come & See! prospective student event, held each Spring and Fall, is an excellent way to visit PSR and learn more about our programs and community.

Q: Is the GRE required?
A: Not for PSR degrees and certificates.  The GRE is required for admission only for the GTU Common M.A.

Q: Is financial aid available?
A: Yes. Federal student loans, work-study and PSR grants are available on the basis of financial need. You must apply by the February 1 deadline to receive priority consideration for most financial aid, and you should complete both a FAFSA and a GTU Domestic or International Financial Aid application.  A number of Merit Scholarships (non-need based) are given each year to students who are entering in the Fall semester and have applied by the February priority deadline. There is no separate application necessary to be considered for these scholarships. Visit our Financial Aid and Budget and Expenses pages for more information.

More Frequently Asked Questions