Flexible Learning Students and Student Support

Who takes Flexible Learning courses?

Students are a blend of distance and in-residence learners coming from a variety of PSR programs. They come from across the country and around the world. Students from partner institutions at the GTU also take PSR’s courses, providing a lively, ecumenical, inter-religious atmosphere.

Some students are pursuing education in order to enter an ordained ministry. Others pursue theological education to inform their current vocation or to deepen personal understanding. It is common to find working clergy, activists, therapists, artists, seekers, and others who are not full-time students in your courses.

Online students outside of California

Pacific School of Religion is either authorized to provide distance education or exempt from such authorization in all U.S. states with the following exceptions: 

  • PSR is not seeking authorization for and does not provide distance education to residents of Alabama. 

International (F-1) Students

The Department of Homeland Security requires F-1 students to maintain a full course of study. F-1 students who are taking online or distance learning classes that do not require physical presence on campus for an exam, class meeting or other purposes relating to the class can count only one online/distance learning class or three credits of online/distance learning per semester toward the full course of study requirement. Because of these federal restrictions, it is not possible for international students to enroll in a distance learning program at Pacific School of Religion

What support is available to students in Flexible Learning programs?

All campus offices are prepared to welcome students in Flexible Learning programs to PSR and help them achieve their academic and ministerial goals. Faculty and staff are available by phone, email, chat and/or web conference.

Academic Advising: The Assistant Dean for Academic Programs and Registrar can assist with course selection and planning progress through academic requirements and milestones.

Faculty Advisor: Each student enrolled in a certificate or degree program is assigned a faculty advisor from the core PSR faculty. The advisor is there to help you with both academic and vocational planning and progress.

Library: All PSR students are eligible to receive GTU library cards and access to rich online research resources.  Reference (research assistance) services are available by phone or email, as well as in-person. PSR Distance students should receive email from the PSR registrar letting them know their barcode is ready. Email the GTU Library at library@gtu.edu for your barcode number needed to access online resources.

Student Life: The Assistant Dean of Students & Community Life is aware of the special needs of Flexible Learning students and strives to include and engage them in the broad array of possible campus activities.

Campus PastorsCampus pastors are available to Flexible Learning students for pastoral care by phone, videoconference, or in person.

Technical Assistance: Library staff are prepared to help with questions about Moodle, the learning system used by most GTU courses.  Your instructor will refer you to the most appropriate assistance for particular issues related to your course. See the Online Learning Technology Guide for details about Moodle & Adobe Connect.

General Assistance & Support: The Office of Community & Continuing Education is the Flexible Learning home base. The Director is available to assist Flex students with online learning and technology questions, navigating PSR from afar, and connecting to PSR and GTU resources.

Complaint Process for Flexible Learning Students

If you have a concern or grievance, begin by contacting the Office of Community & Continuing Education.  The PSR Academic Disputes Policy will guide the process.  Working with the appropriate office at PSR, we will make every attempt to resolve the problem. If we are not able to resolve your issue, you may file a complaint with your home state.

Student Complaint Process by State (December 2012)