Flexible Learning Programs and Faculty
There are many different ways to engage with PSR's Flexible Learning programs. If you are interested in pursuing ministerial studies for academic credit, PSR offers the following options:
- Individual courses – Pursue your passion or take a taste of PSR by enrolling in individual courses. See Special student status or Auditing courses for summer or semester courses. There is no limit to the number of online courses a student may take.
- Certificate of Theological Studies – Follow an eight- to twelve-course plan of study that fits into your life schedule. Credits may later be applied to a master’s degree. The CTS may be taken 100% from a distance.
- Certificate of Sexuality and Religion – Select seven to thirteen courses in sexuality and religion, offered in partnership with PSR’s Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies in Ministry (CLGS). The CSR may be taken 100% from a distance.
- Certificate of Swedenborgian Theology – Select seven to ten courses, four in Swedenborgian studies, offered in partnership with PSR’s Swedenborgian House of Studies (SHS). The CST may be taken 100% from a distance.
- Master of Divinity – Begin at home with the Certificate of Theological Studies, then apply to complete the MDiv with just two years of on-campus coursework (typical residency is three years). Up to 49% of the MDiv may be taken from a distance.
- Master of Theological Studies – Begin at home with the Certificate of Theological Studies, then apply to complete the MTS with just one year of on-campus coursework (typical residency is two years). Up to 49% of the MTS may be taken from a distance.
- Doctor of Ministry – Take six courses online and/or on campus to explore pressing issues in ministry. Develop your research skills in this interdisciplinary program. Up to 49% of the DMin may be taken from a distance.
For shorter, non-credit, lay or continuing education courses see Theological Education for Leadership (TEL). TEL has a separate cost structure and admissions process from other Flexible Learning options.
- Theological Education for Leadership – Study 100% online or in your local community with TEL, a theological education program for lay leaders and clergy (not for graduate credit). TEL follows in the tradition of PSR's Certificate of Ministry Studies program.
Limits to Online Coursework in Masters and Doctoral Degrees
PSR’s accreditors set standard limits as to what percentage of a degree may be offered online. See PSR Maximum Allowable Online Credits, by Degree Program for details.
Cost & Admissions
All courses (with the exception of TEL) are offered at the standard PSR tuition rate. See Admissions for cost, application, and admissions information.
Courses are taught by core PSR and GTU faculty and trusted adjunct faculty. Online faculty have been trained in the art and technology of teaching online and are supported through the Graduate Theological Union (GTU) Library and IT department.