Field Education Requirements and Electives
- All MDiv students are required to earn 6 semester units in Field Education. Candidates for other degrees may enroll for Field Education, dependent upon available placements and approval of Field Education staff.
- The maximum number of Field Education credits that can apply towards graduation is 12 semester units.
- All MDiv students are expected to meet with the Field Education staff during their first semester.
- All placements must be pre-approved.
- Field Education requirements must be met prior to the student's final year in seminary.
Options for fulfilling Field Education requirement
- Concurrent Field Education FE 1005-1006 (3 credits each semester, total of 6 credits). This option requires that the student spend 15 hours per week in an approved field placement and attend an accompanying course on campus for the entire academic year (September to May).
- Internship FE 1011-1014 (3 credits each semester, total of 6 credits). This option requires that the student work full time in an approved placement for the entire academic year.
Elective Field Education Options
- Advanced Concurrent Field Study FE 2210-2211 (variable credit). Advanced Field Education provides additional opportunities for supervised work with academic credit. Students may extend a placement beyond the requisite two semesters, or may have a second placement.
- Special Field Study Ministry FE 1003-1004 (variable credit). Special Field Study provides an opportunity for supervised work that does not fit into other Field Education categories. Consult with Field Education staff for further information and details.
- Summer. Students may earn credit for summer internships. An internship must be at least 10 weeks duration, full time, with approved supervision. Students must register for all summer placements before their summer experience. No retroactive credit will be given.
- Clinical Pastoral Education FE 2000 (variable credit). Clinical Pastoral Education is professional clinical education for ministry, offered by hospitals and other institutions. CPE is not required by PSR for the MDiv degree, but is required by some denominations and conferences as part of preparation for ordination. PSR gives up to 6 credits for CPE units with prior approval of Field Education staff.