Certificate of Theological Studies (CTS)
Are you looking for an opportunity to explore the interrelationships between theological study and other vocations or pondering preparation for ordained ministry by completing the equivalent of the first year of a master's program? PSR's Certificate of Theological Studies (CTS) program offers a wonderful opportunity to spend the equivalent of the first year in a theological master's program in order to sharpen your understanding of your faith and clarify your vocational or academic goals. If you should later decide to enter a PSR degree program, you may apply all credits earned in the CTS if you are admitted to that program.
The CTS is a three-year part time flexible program or one-year full time residential program designed to assist you in:
- Clarifying your personal faith journey as a step toward ordination, entrance to a full degree program, or other goals in religious work.
- Finding a grounding in disciplined theological study before entering a degree program or vocation in directing religious activities or education or in working in religious settings
- Seeking continuing education while in a vocation for which theological study would be a professional asset.
Course Requirements for the CTS
The CTS requires a minimum of 24 credits to be completed in a maximum of 6 years part time study or 1 year of full-time study. Credits must be distributed as follows:
Basic Courses: 15 credits *
- Area 1: Biblical Studies (BS, OT, or NT) 3 credits
- Area 2: Historical Studies (HS) 3 credits
- Area 3: Christian Theology or Philosophy (ST or PH ) 3 credits
- Area 4:Christian Ethics or Religion and Society (CE or RS) 3 credits
- Area 5: Practical Theology (FT, FE, SP, HM. LS, PS, ED) 3 credits
* Courses that are used to satisfy Basic Course requirements must be at least 3 credits each
Electives: 9 credits
Academic Program Manual for the CTS
- Academic program manual for CTS 2012 and after. Both parts required:
Please submit your signed Statement of Understanding by the first two weeks of the Fall or Spring you matriculate and register in this program.
Other CTS forms
The following disclosure is published in accordance with the U.S. Department of Education regulation on Program Integrity: Gainful Employment: CTS Gainful Employment Disclosure Data.