Eden is a 150-year-old progressive, Open & Affirming church in the UCC tradition. We are situated in an urban/suburban setting. There are plenty of opportunities for service learning at Eden. Tell us what you'd like to learn, and how we may help.
Our Senior Minister has a doctorate in homiletics and 30 years of ordained ministry experience and has supervised MIT's from six seminaries including PSR. Eden has been part of the MIT program at PSR from the get-go.
Some unique opportunities available at Eden that you might not find elsewhere include participation in our Compañeras Ministry, development of our young adult ministry, and participation in our upcoming strategic planning conversations and process.
The Congregational Church of San Mateo is a progressive, vibrant congregation with over 600 members. While recently celebrating our 150th anniversary, we are a faith community that embraces innovation and are constantly evolving to meet the needs around us. We have inspirational, relevant and resonant worship each Sunday. A quick perusal of our website will reveal our five guiding principles.
Opportunities for a PSR intern will be determined according to areas of interest and worked out with the supervisor. They may include:
- Participating in progressive worship; learning how to craft that worship
- Involvement in a multi-staff team
- Training in developing and leading programs
- Pastoral and spiritual care
- Working with a seasoned mentor who has trained many successful interns
- Honing preaching skills and worship leadership
- Participating in social justice activities
- Possibility of creating innovative programs to meet congregational needs
- Helping restart a young adult ministry
- Being part of ONA congregation
CCSM offers a wonderful internship experience. We are 30 miles south of PSR and besides offering a $400 stipend, we will help offset your transportation costs with an additional $100 monthly.
Community Presbyterian Church, Vallejo, CA Pastoral Intern Position
To practice pastoral care, congregational and administrative leadership to a congregation of approximately 200 members, under the supervision of the full-time Head of Staff pastor and with the assistance of a Shepherding Committee.
1. Share Worship Leadership (20%): Participate in each worship service, helping to prepare some of the liturgy and flow of the service. Regularly provide media support for the worship services, in consultation with the worship leader. Prepare and deliver at least three sermons. Help create vibrant and meaningful worship, using drama, video, art, dance, and different musical styles that would appeal to the church members and to the unchurched within our community.
2. Nurture Spiritual Development (20%): Lead the Sr. High School Youth Fellowship, Middle School Youth Fellowship, and/or prepare and teach at least one multi-session adult education class.
3. Church Administration/Supervision (20%): Participate in weekly staff meetings, monthly Session meetings, and monthly meetings for assigned committee (either Worship, Evangelism/Hospitality, Mission/Outreach, or Faith Development). Provide staff support to agreed-upon committee assignment, helping with planning and implementation of those plans.
Assist in developing and conducting annual officer training. Provide monthly input to the
Church newsletter by the deadline.
Meet an average of one hour per week with pastor to reflect upon internship experience.
Timely complete Learning Service Agreement with supervising pastor, required
evaluations, theological reflection papers, and year-end assessment.
4. Pastoral Caring (15%): Share in the ministry of pastoral care for the entire organization through interaction with all members and visitors, support of the Deacons and Stephen Ministry program, and participation in quarterly caring meetings with the Parish Associates responsible for pastoral visitation and others. Do at least an average of two pastoral visits each week.
5. Outreach (10%): Participate in community work, either individually or as part of a church outreach effort. Assist in teaching new member classes.
6. Facilitate Strategic Planning (10%): Assist the Mission Study Committee, Session and congregation in creating congregational vision and mission plans and studying emerging trends in church growth.
7. Participate in the Broader Church (5%): Participate regularly in Presbytery meetings and attend at least one Presbytery committee meeting, as arranged through the pastor.
Car Required? Yes
Monthly Stipend? $1,600
Plymouth United Church of Christ is an Oakland-based congregation nicknamed "The Jazz and Justice Church." We are known for our wonderful jazz musicians and our strong commitment to social justice.
Our congregation of 130 members is ethnically diverse - 55% Caucasian, 35% African American, and 10% Latino/a, Asian/Pacific Islander and other. About 35% of our members identify as LGBT.
We believe strongly that faith is a verb, and the gospel calls us to work for justice for all God's people. Our ministries and activities include the following:
- Oakland Community Organizations (OCO), an alliance of Oakland congregations working for economic and racial justice
- School Partnership Project (launched in fall 2014), a partnership with Hoover Elementary School in West Oakland to help improve learning outcomes for low-income children of color
- The Food of God for the People of God, a weekly feeding program for the homeless
- Ministerio Latino, the first Spanish-speaking LGBT congregation in the Bay Area
We would expect a seminarian to be actively engaged in at least one of these justice ministries. In addition, the seminarian would:
- Help plan weekly worship
- Preach at least once each semester
- Participate in providing occasional pastoral care
- Help lead at least one spiritual formation activity for adults - Bible study, Lenten prayer group, book group, etc.
Car Required?: Yes
Monthly Stipend: $400
424 Monte Vista Avenue
Oakland, CA 94611
Rev. Marjorie W. Matthews, Pastor
The Peninsula Metropolitan Community Church (PMCC) is a 'family sized' congregation located in San Mateo, CA. The church was founded 10 years ago and the founding Pastor, Rev. Terri Echelbarger, is the mentor for this site. This site is ideal for someone considering church planting, although we certainly welcome others.
Over the past 10 years, PMCC has provided supervision to seven PSR Field Ed students who completed their ordination. We have had an additional three students 'in care' of our congregation. The congregation takes seriously their task of preparing Pastors for ministry in our denomination. You can expect an active committee, and a Pastor, who will challenge you and expect you to bring your best self to community.
The role of the seminarian varies in accordance with the experience and skills of each candidate. We like to balance the job description with the needs of both parties in mind. There will be preaching opportunities, teaching opportunities, and administrative responsibility with each final Learning/Serving Covenant.
Car Required?: Yes
Monthly Stipend: $0
1150 West Hillsdale Blvd.
San Mateo, CA 94403
Rev. Terri Echelbarger, Pastor
St. Mark’s is a community of people where absolutely everyone receives a warm welcome and an invitation to be part of a movement to transform the world with the power of God/’s love. Everyone is encouraged to be on a journey of faith and to share that journey with others.
Two opportunities are available, but some flexibility depending on skill and experience level:
- Pastoral Care Assistant
- Working closely with the pastor making calls on sick or shut-in members of the congregation
- Working closely with Pastoral Care Coordinator and Faith Community Nurse and Friendly Visitor Team.
- Program Coordinator
- Working with Church Council amd ministry teams in planning process, evaluation and review. Teams include Discipleship, Action, New Members and Pastoral Care, Outreach and Communications, and Arts and Worship.
- Developing programs and enabling team leaders.
Monthly Stipend: $400
Car Required? Yes
2391 St. Mark's Way
Sacramento, CA 95864
St. Paul's UMC is located in the South University Neighborhood of Downtown San Jose, across the street from San Jose State. Worship attendance is about 40 people on Sunday mornings and reflects socio-economic, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and theological diversity.
Within the past two years, St. Paul's has partnered with the neighborhood and the SJSU campus on exciting community building and social justice initiatives. We have a longstanding commitment to being a Reconciling Congregation and to local and global peace ministries and Jubilee (economic justice).
We are hoping to welcome a student who would like experience in the connection between church and community, ministry with college students and preaching/leading worship.
Monthly Stipend: $400
Car Required?: No (but may be needed for commute to San Jose)
405 S. 10th St.
San Jose, CA 95112
Skyland Community Church, UCC, is a small but vibrant church family located for over a century in the beautiful mountains between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz. We offer a healthy,open-minded community eager to work and play with seminary students. This setting is ideal for experiencing the best that parish ministry can provide: a loving and faithful people, appreciative of our past and open to new ideas and ways of doing things. We have recently used materials from IDEO, a Palo Alto based product design company, to help us design new projects for ministry. We have supported one of our members who felt called to ordained ministry, earned an M.Div. from PSR, and founded an organization called Mountain Neighbors Helping Neighbors, to which she was ordained as director. We would like to work to help you get the flavor of what a joy it can be to participate in this level of loving community. You will have an opportunity to
- lead worship,
- teach classes,
- learn pastoral care skills, and
- experience the unique role and calling of parish minister.
We can also provide you with encouragement and ideas if you have a new ministry you would like to launch. Writing as the mentor, I have enjoyed ministry at Skyland Church for almost 25 years and one of my great rewards has been to work with seminary students who have gone on to a variety of fulfilling work settings. Because we are located at least one and a half hours south of Berkeley, we would be a better Field Ed site for a student living in the South Bay or Santa Cruz. But, if you don't mind driving, we'll be glad to consider students from all over the Bay Area. Come, check us out!
Monthly Stipend: $400
Car Required?: Yes
25100 Skyland Rd.
Los Gatos, CA 95033
You are invited to apply for the field placement position at the First United Methodist Church of Napa. The student selected for placement will be introduced to adaptive change leadership in a local church setting and may select from the following roster one or more areas of concentration for developing a Learning/Serving Covenant:
- Preaching: Development and delivery of sermons in either or both traditional / contemporary worship settings;
- Worship Design: using advanced state-of-the-art tools including Planning Center Online and Pro-Presenter Media Software, work with a team of professionals in designing worship settings and services;
- Pastoral Care: learn from our team of Certified Congregational Care Ministers who provide pastoral care assessment and delivery for our growing congregation;
- Age Level Ministries: learn from our Director of Children's Ministries leading our GRAPE Express Children's Ministry Team, our Director of Student Ministries leading our middle and high school youth ministry, our Fun & Fellowship Team serving families with children and youth, and / or our Builders Ministry serving senior adults;
- Evangelism: learn from our CATCH Team as it revitalizes the existing congregation and /or with our Fusion Worship Experience Team as it creates new places for new people;
- Mission: learn from our Guiding Coalition which launched the Napa Circles Initiative, our premier outreach ministry to assist people to move out of poverty; and /or
- The Vineyard Circuit: learn from clergy and lay people gathering to explore the vision of a connectional church living into one church on five campuses focusing on the revitalization of First United Methodist Church of Vallejo.
- Earthquake Recovery: learn from our efforts to fully recover, physically, emotionally, spiritually, from the August 24, 2014 6.0 South Napa Earthquake resulting in a $2 million restoration.
Napa First has enjoyed a long history as a field placement site. Many of "our" seminarians are serving UMC (and other denomination) congregations as pastors, administrators, teachers and chaplains. Pastor Lee Neish has said that it is a prime responsibility of congregations and clergy to "pour themselves into the next generation of church leaders." He experienced the power of field placement himself and is a proponent of the program. He is eager to mentor seminary students. We are a congregation that values field education and look forward to working with you in tailoring your objectives and experience to make the most out of your next academic year.
Monthly Stipend: $500
Car Required: No
625 Randolph St.
Napa, CA 94559
Central UMC in Sacramento was on the brink of closure in 2009. A typical Sunday worship was little more than a small group with choir robes and an overhead projector. The historic congregation had dwindled, but continued to trust that God had something big in store for them.
The Table, a new church start of the UMC, began taking shape at Central in July of 2009 with just a few families. Over the last few years these two communities have been knit together as one. Sunday morning worship has grown to average over 220 and we transitioned to two worship times this month to make room at The Table. Our discipleship formation process is rooted in the structure of Wesleyan class meetings. We call these groups Kitchen Tables and we now have 14-15 meeting throughout the week all over the city.
We are looking for two seminarians who are interested in doing church differently. If you're passionate about rethinking church and willing to work hard and creatively, we'd love to talk more. Learn more about our community of faith online at www.thetableumc.org.
Car Required?: Yes
5265 H Street
Sacramento, CA 95819