Programs at RCC build community and promote wellness among Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Two-Spirit (etc) and our Allies. Our programs include social and support groups, a counseling program, community meals, a food pantry, and more. The pastoral intern oversees spirituality programming at our center, including (a) monthly Spirituality Group, a topic-based discussion/exploration of spirituality from LGBTQ perspectives; (b) individual spiritual care, which may include home visits; (c) outreach/networking to build our connections with LGBTQ-affirming spiritual communities; and (d) a project of the intern's choice. Past projects have included an LGBT Faith Guide, a Recovering from Religious Trauma group, and development of a spirituality assessment for behavioral health interns.
The intern is part of an intern cohort that includes MSW interns and will be expected to participate in Friday case conferences. Additional training will be provided on cultural competence topics as needed. Supervision is provided weekly by a staff member who has a Master of Divinity (PSR '09) and Certificate in Sexuality & Religion (PSR '10) and four units of CPE training (Palo Alto VA Medical Center '07-'08).
Requirements for internship
- Ability to work with and respect a variety of spiritual perspectives, including atheism.
- Ability to navigate religious trauma, spiritual alienation, and other concerns facing people who have been marginalized due to sexuality and/or gender.
- Participation in weekly case conferences and trainings with other interns on Fridays.
- Basic awareness of social justice concerns in addition to sexuality & gender, including white privilege, racial justice, and class privilege.
- A car is strongly encouraged for home visits and outreach work. RCC provides mileage reimbursement for internship-related work (but not commute between home & the RCC). If the intern has a car, we are required to file a copy of current insurance.
- Ability to speak basic conversational Spanish is preferred.
Car Required: Strongly encouraged but not required
Monthly Stipend: TBD
2118 Willow Pass Rd., Ste. 500
Concord, CA 94520