- Academic Disputes Policy
- Accessibility Accommodation and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Advanced Standing
- Affiliation for GTU PhD Students
- Building and Facilities Care Guidelines
- Campus Security (Clery Act Report)
- Change of Program
- Commitment to Equality
- Common Academic Policies Chart
- Community Covenant
- Credit Hour Policy
- Drug Free Notification
- Email Account Policy, Contact & Profile Information Updates
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Extension Policy
- Extensions & Lapsed Time
- Full-time or Part-time Status
- Grievance Policy
- Health Insurance for Students
- Information Technology (CITS)
- Leave of Absence & Deferment
- Plagiarism Policy
- Policy Statement on the Use of Inclusive Language
- Provisional Student Policy
- Satisfactory Academic Progress & Academic Probation Policy
- Sexual Harassment Policy
- Student Complaints
- Student Conduct & Special Needs Policy
- Transfer Policy
- Tuition, Fees and Refund Policy
- Use of Technology in Classrooms
- Withdrawal and Termination
Questions about this policy?
Transfer Policy and Procedure
You may transfer a portion of your PSR program from an accredited theological or graduate school if that credit has not already been applied to a conferred degree and if that credit is evaluated by the Assistant Dean as an appropriate part of your program. Furthermore, no credits that fall outside the lapsed-time rule (see time lapse limit in Common Academic Policies chart) may be counted toward the program. Petitions to Transfer Credits should be submitted by the end of the first semester of your program so that a decision may be rendered in time for you to plan your program.
Petitions should include official transcripts showing the credits earned if they are not already obtained during the Admissions process. All petitioned courses are assumed to be transferred for elective credit unless noted on your petition to be used toward a basic requirement. In the case that you wish to petition a transferred course to be used for one of your basic requirements or any other kind of requirement, you must note that on your petition, and you must supply course descriptions and syllabi of those courses to accompany the written petition request. Requests without syllabi will be processed for elective credit only.
Special Transfer Cases
- Certificate of Theological Education for Leadership (CTEL):Students who already possess an associates degree or higher and have earned a CTEL, may petition to transfer up to 3.0 elective credits toward a graduate PSR degree or certificate program by the end of their first semester at PSR.
- Certificate of Ministry (CMS):
CMS graduates who wish to pursue futher education at PSR may transfer up to 7.5 elective credits toward PSR graduate degree or certificate or program by the end of their first semester at PSR.
- Field Education credit: Transferring Field Education credits requires, in addition to transcripts, submission of all field education reports documenting the field education experience and evaluation from the previous institution.
- Northwest House of Theological Studies: Northwest House of Theological Studies students may transfer up to 1/2 of total required units.
As PSR is on a semester system, quarter credits are transferred in at 2/3 the original rate. Courses suitable for transfer of credit are graduate level academic courses from an ATS and/or WASC accredited (or equivalent) institution—in theology or a closely related field that were taken (1) as a special or non-degree student, or (2) above and beyond degree requirements in a degree program, or (3) for a degree program which the student did not and will not complete. Up to 2/3 of your total required units may be transferred from a school outside PSR including courses from another school in the consortium.
In short, a few key things to remember and check if you are thinking about transferring are:
- Credits cannot have already been used toward the awarding of another degree.
- Credits cannot be older than usually 4-7 years (lapsed time rule) depending on which program you are applying to at PSR.
- Courses must be at graduate level, in theological field, and from accredited institution.
- Petitions must be accompanied with copies of syllabi for courses you wish to use toward basic foundational requirements of PSR programs.
If you have completed prior relevant coursework but it does not necessarily meet all the criteria as listed above, you may still be eligible for advanced standing status, which may waive you from certain course requirements, but require you to still fulfill the credits with an appropriate substitution of your choice. For more information on petitioning for Advanced Standing status, visit our Advanced Standing Policy and Procedure.
Notation of transfer on your PSR transcript will appear as only the number of credits, the name(s) of the institution(s) from which the credits were transferred, and the term(s) from which they were earned. Actual course names and grades from your transferred courses are not posted and are not included in your PSR grade point average calculation. This notation of transferred credits will not appear on your WebAdvisor transcript, but should appear on the hard copy of grades you receive after each year, so check to make sure it appears correctly on your grade reports.
Petition Evaluation Periods
Petitions to Transfer/Advanced Standing and any new additional documents or appeals will be considered on the following schedule:
Materials received by
|Will receive a response by|
|September 30||October 30|
|December 30||January 30|
|March 30||April 30|
|June 30||July 30|
If you wish to appeal a decision, please do so by submitting all additional syllabi and/or other documentation to support your appeal by the next deadline. Submissions that are not received in time by a deadline will processed at the next deadline. However note that petitions with complete documentation should be submitted by the end of the first semester of your program so that a decision may be rendered in time for you to plan your program. No requests for transfer or additional appeals will be considered after your first year at PSR except under special circumstances.
Transfer and Advanced Standing Petition Forms
Below are Petitions to Transfer Credit for GTU Common MA students and non-GTU Common MA students. Please fill out the appropriate form and submit to the PSR Assistant Dean for Academic Programs.
Transferring out of PSR to another institution
Note that this policy covers only transfers of non-PSR coursework to PSR programs only. For policies on transfers of PSR credits to an outside institution, please consult that institution’s transfer policy.